Lots of information here about different things coming up, with links if you need more information (please let us know if you prefer this to the old method of spamming you with several mails a week).
G20 Summit – Donald Trump comes to Germany (as does Putin, Erdogan, May, Rajoy and whichever neoliberal racist wins the French election)
In the first week of July, the G20 will be meeting in Hamburg‘s Schanzenviertel – the heart of the movement to support the Lampedusa refugees. A large demonstration and counter-summit have been organised.
Here’s what we know so far:
- On Monday, 27th March, Corinna Genschel from the international coordinating committee will be speaking at a meeting of DIE LINKE Berlin Internationals about the protests. 7pm in DIE LINKE Neukölln offices, Wipperstraße 6
- There’ll be a preparatory meeting in Hamburg on April 7th.
- The Summit for Global Solidarity will be on 5-6 July.
- There will be a day of civil demonstrations on 7 July and a mass demonstration on 8 July
We’ve set up a Web page which we will update when we get new information here
Turkish Referendum: vote “No”. Help the campaign in Berlin
There will be a referendum about changes to the Turkish constitution in April. We are supporting our comrades in the HDP/HDK in the “no” campaign.
Here’s what you can do:
- Find more information about the referendum here
- Support the stalls and poster actions in Berlin. Contact us at email@example.com and we’ll put you in touch with people in your area.
- After the referendum we’ll be having a meeting discussing its significance with Erkin Erdogan, co-speaker of the HDP/HDK Berlin-Brandenburg. More information here
Demonstrate against the AfD Conference
The Alternative für Deutschland (AfD) are having their national conference in Cologne in April. The AfD are hoping for success in September’s German election but have recently suffered setbacks from the actions of an openly Nazi wing in the organisation and from the growing movement against Donald Trump and his co-thinkers.
Aufstehen gegen Rassismus is organising buses to protests against the AfD conference. Tickets should be ready from 25 March. The buses will be leaving Berlin at 4am on the 22nd April, returning at 11pm.
Tickets cost €45 / €30 reduced and we are working on raising money to provide cheaper tickets for people who can’t afford them. The first step is a benefit concert on 29 March aimed at subsidizing buses going to the protests against the G20 and the AfD conference.
For more information as it arrives, check our Web page on the subject:
Other meetings this week
There’s something on pretty much every evening this week:
- On Sunday, 26 March, SoulKino will be discussing feminism and showing Lizzie Borden’s cult film Born in Flames
- On Monday, 27 March there’s our meeting on the G20 summit
- On Tuesday, 28 March, the Jacobin Reading Group will be discussing Universal Basic Income
- On Wednesday, 29 March, there’s a benefit concert raising money to subsidize buses to the protests against the AfD conference and the G20 summit:
- And on Thursday, 30 March there’s the next meeting of The Coalition at The Castle pub near Gesundbrunnen U-Bahn
- If that’s not too much for you, there will be a brainstorming meeting about what we do against the latest EU legal ruling that its ok to sack women for wearing a . The meeting has been organised by local anti-racists, and will take place on April 4th in the Betahaus Prinzessinnenstraße 19-20 at 7pm.
Our Regular Meetings
DIE LINKE Berlin Internationals meet on the fourth Monday of every month at 7pm in DIE LINKE offices in Neukölln (Wipperstraße 6, U-,S-Bahn Neukölln).
Here are our next few meetings:
- March 27th: G20 Summit in Hamburg: Protest against Trump, Erdogan and Putin, with Corinna Genschel (G20 protests International coordinating group)
- 24th April: Turkey after the Referendum: Where now in the fight for democracy? With Erkin Erdogan (co-speaker HDP/HDK Berlin-Brandenburg)
- 22nd May: Not just the West. Elections and neo-liberalism in Serbia with Anja Ilic (socialist from Belgrade)
- 26th June: Why the German election is important for internationals with Judith Benda (Die LINKE candidate in Neukölln and speaker, DIE LINKE Berlin Internationals)
Workshop: Can I criticise Israel…
…and not be anti-semitic? After our 2 successful workshops with Dr Gal Schkolnik from Tel Aviv, we are planning one or two more. To help us organise them, we need to know where and when is good for you. We are free most Tuesdays and Wednesday and have rooms that we can use in Kreuzberg and Charlottenburg. If you are interested in joining in, please contact us and let us know where and when is good for you.
DIE LINKE Berlin Internationals
Join our mailing list: send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org