Here are the minutes of our meeting last Tuesday. A video report of the meeting from Wellington and Kathleen will be on our Website soon.
You can read more about Wellington’s analysis on Brazil on the Website soon.
DEMONSTRATIONS AGAINST TRUMP
Our member Kathleen was one of the small group of individuals whích mobilised 2,000 people within 24 hours against Donald Trump. Kathleen argued that there was no great upsurge in people voting for Trump, but many former Obama voters were not inspired by Hillary Clinton. This means that resistance to Trump is both possible and necessary.
Two events are important here:
- on 20 or 21 January there will be international demos on the day of Trump’s inauguration. We will be also organising something in Berlin
- On 7 December there is a kick off meeting to coordinate the protests in Berlin. You’ll hear something from us very soon.
EUROPEAN LEFT CONFERENCE IN BERLIN 16-18 DECEMBER
From 16-18 December, the European Left will be having a conference in Berlin. We are offering support, particularly on the Friday afternoon where we will help register delegates. We will also have a stall throughout the conference.
If anyone is interested in helping out, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org. For the specific requirements on the Friday, we’ll send out a doodle very soon.
LINKE BERLIN CONFERENCE 10 DECEMBER
Die LINKE Berlin will have its party conference on 10 December. Ana Barrena will be our delegate. We have also submitted 2 emergency motions:
- “Die LINKE Berlin supports the planned protests against Donald Trump on 20/21 January around his inauguration as US president” (Kathleen will speak for this motion)
- “Die LINKE Berlin is in solidarity with the imprisoned and removed politicians of our sister party the HDP and calls on the German government to end all support for the AKP government” (Ferat will speak for this motion)
As these are emergency motions, to submit them we need the support of 20 conference delegates. If you are a delegate or know delegates, please contact us.
- On Friday, we have a book presentation on social movements in Chile from Allende to today
- On Saturday there are various actions against the 100th demonstration of Bärgida (Berlin’s Pegida):
- On Sunday, SoulKino is showing Lukas Moodysonn’s film Lilya-4-Ever in the B-Lage
- On Thursday, December 15th, Dr Jenny Farrell will be introducing a discussion on her book “Fear Not: Shakespeare’s Tragedies”
We will be having our Christmas party on Saturday, 10th December in the Co-op café, Rochstraße 3 (near Alexanderplatz). Here’s the planned running order:
- 18.15: Film (Sweden/USA): Black Power Mixtape
- 21:00 Live Music (Iran/Germany): Kaveh
- 22:00 DJ Set (Spain): SoulKino
The refugee theatre group is already performing somewhere else on the same evening but we’re trying to organise something with them.
On Thursday, 8th December, we’ll be buying food and stuff. If you can help us, please contact us at email@example.com for the exact time and place.
NEW ON OUR WEBSITE
- Victor Grossman’s new Berlin bulletin on Angela Merkel’s election campaign
- Video of our book presentation on ETA (German language only) https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/victor-grossmans-berlin-bulletin/angela-and-elections/
- Film Previews of Paterson (out in German cinemas since last week) and Aloys (out today)
I think that was the most important things. Please contact us if you need to know more.
DIE LINKE Berlin Internationals
Join the mailing list: send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.