This is a scandal. Spanish trade unionist sentenced to 30 months for taking part in a demo, despite video evidence that he did nothing wrong. Article from the front page of today’s junge Welt by our Carmela Negrete. Anyone able to organise solidarity or to scandalize what’s happening, get going. https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/current-debates/spanish-trade-unionist-imprisoned/
- On Saturday, there is the Ostermarsch, the traditional demonstration of the German anti-war movement. It starts at Hermannplatz at 12 noon
- On Sunday, our friends and comrades in the Turkish HDP have called a counter-demonstration against the fascist Grauen Wölfe.Kotbusser Tor at the memorial to Celalettin Kesim on the corner of Kotbusserstraße and Reichenbergerstraße. The mobilisation starts at 3.30pm(NOT 3pm as in the original call)
Here’s a reminder of some of the things which are coming up.
First of all we have an organising meeting tomorrow. This is where we organise the day-to-day activities of our group. The meeting is from 7pm till 9pm and is in the Roter Salon, Weidenweg 17 (near Weberweise U-Bahn). You can see our proposed agenda here: https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/coming-events/organising-meeting-17-march-at-7pm/.
On Friday and Saturday Die LINKE will be holding an anti-war conference in the Neues Deutschland building, Franz-Mehring Platz 1 (near Ostbahnhof). The programme is here (and shows which meeting will also be available in English: http://www.die-linke.de/fileadmin/download/aktionen/friedenskonferenz2016/programm/2016-03-16_friedenskonferenz_programm_a5_4c.pdf)
Then on Sunday, refugees in Berlin are organising a carnival against racism (https://www.myrightisyourright.de/en/home). We will be giving out leaflets. Meeting point is at our new banner (“Refugees are Welcome here” in 5 languages). The carnival starts at 12 o’clock at the Platz der Luftbrücke and there will be a demo setting off at 2pm.
Last meeting for the long week-end, we will be having our normal meeting on Tuesday, 22 March, 7pm in Karl-Liebknecht Haus KIZ opposite the reception. Thorsten Buhl from the Friedrichshain Hilft welcome initiative for refugees and Margarete Heitmüller from the 100% Tempelhofer Feld campaign will be speaking on the subject “Migrants, Refugees, Berliners: Affordable housing for all!”
The week-end after next is Easter, so it’ll be less hectic than the last few weeks, but on Easter Monday, 28 March we will be holding a Stammtisch (peculiar German event half way between a public meeting and a drinking session) with Joseph Choonara, author of a recent pamphlet on Brexit. We’re starting at 7pm at the Co-op Café. More information here: https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/coming-events/28-march-stammtisch-have-a-drink-and-a-chat-with-joseph-choonara/
A final word. We are always more than happy to publish Victor Grossman’s Berlin Bulletins, explaining German politics to an international audience. Victor’s latest bulletin about the recent German election victories of the AfD is now online here: https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/victor-grossmans-berlin-bulletin/german-voting-who-won-who-lost/
DIE LINKE Berlin Internationals
Join our Mailing list: send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
On Friday evening, we’re showing the film ‘Girls Wings’ at 8pm in the Moviemento cinema, followed by a Q&A with the director Hanna Selzer and Laura Koeppen, who appears in the film. More information here:https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/…/soapbox-…/girls-wings/. Please come along and bring your friends.
On Saturday, there are 2 important events. At 1pm there’s a demo “Break the silence! Stop the war in Kurdistan”. You can join our HDP comrades at Alexanderplatz.
At the same time there are mobilisations against a threatened Nazi march in Berlin. The first meeting point is 1.30 at Ostkreuz.
People from the Kurdish demo and the Ostkreuz mobilisation will be meeting up later to stop the Nazis together. The Nazi demo is planned for 3pm at the Hauptbahnhof. We’ll know more about the counter-mobilisations after a meeting tomorrow evening and will report the results to this list.
On Sunday there’s another chance to mobilise against far right racists, when there’s an action to disrupt the conference of Alternative für Deutschland. I guess there’ll also be more information about this tomorrow night.
Hope to see you there
- Photos from the International Women’s Day / Frauen*Kampftag demo: https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/picture-and-video-galleries/galleries/6-march-2016-marching-for-international-womens-day-frauenkampftag/
- Victor Grossman’s Berlin Bulletin on elections in Germany: https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/victor-grossmans-berlin-bulletin/germany-has-elections-too/
- Analysis of the Irish elections: https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/current-debates/ireland-no-stability-under-austerity/
- DVD Review – ‘Shirley, Visions of Reality’ based on the paintings of Edward Hopper: https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/culture/film-reviews-and-previews/dvd-review-shirley-visions-of-reality/
- Discussion on Brexit between Joseph Choonara and Pete Green: https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/current-debates/brexit-and-the-british-left-a-debate-between-joseph-choonara-and-pete-green/
You are warmly invited to our coming events:
- Friday, 11 March. Film “Girl’s Wings” followed by a Q&A with director Hanna Salzer and Laura Koeppen who appears in the film. 8pm in the Moviemento cinema (come early to get a cheap ticket): https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/culture/soapbox-pictures/girls-wings/
- Tuesday, 22 March: “Migrants, Refugees, Berliners: Affordable housing for all!”. Discussion with Thorsten Bühl from Friedrichshain hilft and Kerstin Meyer from 100% Tempelhofer Feld. 7pm in Karl Liebknecht Haus: https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/coming-events/22-march-gentrification-and-incoming-refugees-why-there-is-still-room-for-everyone/
- Monday, 28 March: Stammtisch with Joseph Choonara. Have a beer and a chat about Brexit. 7pm in the Coop Café, Rochstraße 3: https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/coming-events/28-march-stammtisch-have-a-drink-and-a-chat-with-joseph-choonara/
Follow us on facebook: www.facebook.com/theleftberlin/
Join our mailing list by sending a message to email@example.com