We announced a lot of coming events at our meeting last night. They’ve now all been added to the “Coming Events” list in the right column of our Website https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/. There is also a list below. If you know of any other events that you think we should be publicizing, please let us know.
· Friday 26 from 7pm/ Saturday 27 February from 10am: Fair Rents Conference in the TU
On the Saturday, we want to make a joint stall with Wahlrecht für Alle and Myrightisyourright, mobilising for the anti-racist carnival on March 20th. We’ll be at the workshop on refugees (“Kommunaler Wohnraum statt Massenunterkunft”) at 10am, and will meet with the WfA people in the break afterwards (11.30 – at the stall if the organisers confirm that we can have one)
· Friday 4 March from 6pm: Clara Zetkin Prize in Südblock
We’ll be there giving out leaflets for the film on 11th March
· Saturday 5 March from 9am, Sunday 6 March from 10am in GLS Campus Berlin: Die LINKE national women’s conference
· Sunday 6 March from 12 noon: International Women’s Day Demo from Rosa Luxemburg Platz
Find us in the LINKE Block near the front. We’ll be marching behind our banner https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/picture-and-video-galleries/galleries/19-september-2015-marching-for-abortion-rights/
· 7 March – 1 May various events for the LINKE “Das muss drin sein” campaign
(http://www.die-linke.de/nc/kampagne/aktuell/) more information to follow
· Friday 11 March from 8pm: Film – Girl’s Wings in the Moviemento cinema
(https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/culture/soapbox-pictures/) followed by a discussion with the director Hanna Salzer
· Friday 11 March from 4pm and Saturday 12 March from 10am: LINKE Berlin party conference in WISTA, Berlin-Adlershof
This is where the election manifesto will be decided. Only delegates have voting rights, but anyone can attend.
· Thursday 17 March from 7pm: Group organising meeting
we’ll let you know where
· Friday 18 March from 6pm, Saturday 19 March from 10am: Die LINKE national anti-war conference in ND building
· Sunday 20 March from 12 noon: anti-racist demo from Platz der Luftbrücke followed by carnival at Spreewaldplatz
· Tuesday 22 March at 7pm: our meeting: Migrants, Refugees Berliners – affordable rents for all in Karl Liebknecht Haus
with Thorsten Bühl (Friedrichshain hilft) and Kerstin Meyer (100% Tempelhofer Feld)
· Early April: informal meeting: What is die LINKE?
Several people expressed an interest in coming to this. We just need to find a convenient day and time. To help us do this, please fill in this dudle: https://dudle.inf.tu-dresden.de/What_is_die_LINKE/
· Thursday 21 April from 7pm: Group organising meeting
planned, but we may move because of the following meeting:
· Thursday 21 April from 5pm: BASF and the Marikana Massacre in the Volksbühne Grüner Salon
(http://www.rosalux.de/event/55255/basf-und-das-massaker-von-marikana.html) with speakers from South Africa and Niema Movassat MP
· Friday 22 April 6.30pm: Film – ‘Miners Shot Down’ in Moviemento
· Sunday 24 April 5pm: Film – ‘Miners Shot Down’ in Hackescher Hof
· Tuesday 26 April at 7pm: our meeting: Die LINKE and the Berlin local elections in Karl Liebknecht Haus
with Ruben Lehnert (Die LINKE Berlin executive)
· Sunday 1 May all afternoon: MyFest in front of the Bethanien on Mariannenplatz
please come to help at our stall
· Thursday 19 May from 7pm: Group organising meeting
we’ll let you know where
· Thursday 26 May at 7pm: our meeting: Plan B – Which way forward for the European Left? in Karl Liebknecht Haus
with Fabio de Masi MEP
watch this space and save the date 11 March: https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/soapbox-pictures/
On 20th March, refugees in Berlin are organising a carnival against racism. Posters, stickers and leaflets are available in 7 languages from
Oranienstraße 21, Kreuzberg
Opening times Mo-Fr 10-19 and Sa 10-16
Buchladen zur schwankenden Weltkugel
Kastanienallee 85, 10435 Berlin – Prenzlauer Berg
Monday to Friday 11.00 – 19.00
Saturday 11.30 – 18.00
You can also find PDFs to print out yourself and JPeGs to use online at https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/projects-we-support/carnival-against-racism-march-20th-2016/.
For more information about the carnival, please visit https://www.myrightisyourright.de/en/home
Here’s a reminder that our next monthly organising meeting is next Thursday, February 18th from 7pm till 9pm in the offices of DIE LINKE Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf (Behaimstraße 17, U-Bahn Richard Wagner Platz).
It is open to anyone who wants to help plan the activities of our group or is just interested in what we do. Our planned agenda for the meeting is below.
If you’re more interested in political discussion: our next proper meeting is on Tuesday, February 23rd at 7pm in Karl Liebknecht Haus on Rosa Luxemburg Platz, where we’ll be discussing Women’s Rights and Racism after Cologne.
Here’s our suggestion for Tuesday’s agenda:
- Election Programme
In Autumn, there will be local elections in Berlin and DIE LINKE will be voting on an election programme in March. Some of us were at a conference about the programme, and Ilona is on the programme commission. What is in the programme, and do we want to suggest any changes?
- International Women’s Day
Its International Women’s Day on 8 March, and a host of activities are planned on the week-end before (seehttps://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/projects-we-support/international-womens-day-8-march/ for details). What’s going to happen and how should we mobilise / build a block at the demo on the Sunday?
- DiEM25 / Blockupy / Plan B
Since our last meeting, we’ve had the Blockupy conference and the launch of Yannis Varoufakis’s Democracy in Europe 25 meeting (https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/2016/02/10/yannis-varoufakis-launches-democracy-in-europe-movement-diem25-report/), both in Berlin. In June, the international Plan B initiative will have a conference in Germany (and shortly before at the end of May, Fabio de Masi will be talking about Plan B at our meeting). Several group members were at these meetings, and others weren’t but probably want to talk about how the various campaigns are connected and what we should be doing.
- Soapbox Pictures
Our side-project Soapbox Pictures, showing critical and alternative films followed by a discussion is just about ready to go live. We have a film planned for 11th March, and have a meeting next week with the rosa luxemburg stiftung to talk about regular cooperation, including jointly hosting the film Miners Shot Down to accompany a tour of South African activists in April.
- Our Website
Stephen and Justin have been talking about how we can improve our Website and will be organising a meeting for anyone else is interested in getting involved.
- New banner, new leaflet
Judith and Kathleen have been working on the text for a new leaflet, and will present what they have so far. We also want to decide on the slogan for a new banner, which (if we choose an anti-racist slogan) we will hopefully have in time for the anti-racist carnival on March 20th (https://myrightisyourright.de/de/entry/aufruf-carnival-al-lajiin-am-20-maerz-2016#). You have until next Wednesday to suggest a slogan (use the comments field at https://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/2016/01/19/new-banner/).
- Future organising meetings
In the future, our monthly organising meetings will be in local offices of DIE LINKE and similar rooms. We have contacted several districts who can host us, we just need to make a quick decision whether we want to meet in the same place every time and which places are easiest/hardest to reach for group members.
- Other LAG meetings / activities:
- We’d also like to organise an informal meeting about the history of DIE LINKE, and show the short film about Karl Liebknecht Haus. Since making this decision, we heard that DIE LINKE Kreuzberg is planning exactly the same thing for their new Turkish members. This meeting will be in German and will take place on 20th The organizers have said that they can then organize something similar for us. What they need is a date and one of us to translate their slides into English.
- With all the discussion about Bernie Sanders, do we want to organize some sort of meeting about the US president elections, maybe with Victor?
- We may still have the possibility of organising a meeting with speakers from Spain. If so, who do we want to invite and in what sort of time frame?
If there’s anything else that you’d like to discuss, please let us know. 2 quick notices before we go:
- Victor Grossman’s latest Berlin bulletin is online athttps://theleftberlin.wordpress.com/victor-grossmans-berlin-bulletin/coming-cutthroats-and-parting-pirates/, Here, Victor is talking about the danger of the AfD, the demise of the Pirates and the possibilities and problems around the launch of DiEM25.
- Phil is having a birthday party tomorrow night (Saturday 13th) from 8pm in the Co-op Café (Rochstraße 3 near Alexanderplatz). If you want to come along, please do.
- Event announcement: 21 February, 3 pm https://www.facebook.com/events/1695265937423477/
Nous demandons la levée immédiate de l’Etat d’urgence et l’abandon de la constitutionnalisation de celui-ci et de la déchéance de nationalité.
We demand immediate action to stop France’s ongoing state of emergency and the government plans to revoke the French citizenship of dual nationals.
Sofortige Aufhebung des Ausnahmezustandes und des permanenten Notstandes. Verzicht auf die Verankerung in der Verfassung des Ausnahmezustandes und des Entzuges der Staatsbürgerschaft
LE DIMANCHE 21 FEVRIER
15H00 – BERLIN
DEVANT L’AMBASSADE DE FRANCE (PARISER PLATZ)
AM SONNTAG, DEN 21. FEBRUAR
UM 15.00 UHR IN BERLIN
VOR DER FRANZÖSISCHEN BOTSCHAFT (AM PARISER PLATZ)
Hope to see you soon